Today is Wednesday, August 29, the 242nd day of the year.
Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 75. North wind 5 to 11 mph.
Wednesday Night: Clear, with a low around 46. Light northwest wind.
Events & Reminders
Today in History
- 1786: Shays' Rebellion, an armed uprising of Massachusetts farmers, begins in response to high debt and tax burdens.
- 1885: Gottlieb Daimler patents the world's first internal combustion motorcycle, the Reitwagen.
- 1911: Ishi, considered the last Native American to make contact with European Americans, emerges from the wilderness of northeastern California.
- 1949: The Soviet Union tests its first atomic bomb, known as First Lightning or Joe 1, at Semipalatinsk, Kazakhstan.
- 2005: Hurricane Katrina devastates much of the U.S. Gulf Coast from Louisiana to the Florida Panhandle, killing more than 1,836 and causing over $80 billion in damage.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.