Today is Monday, August 27, the 240th day of the year.
- Locals speak out about astronaut
- Hearst investigation about Chris Murphy's attendance record
- Featured Blog:
Monday: A slight chance of showers, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 78. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Monday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a low around 69. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent.
Events & Reminders
Today in History
- 1859: Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, PA leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well.
- 1896: The shortest war in world history, the Anglo-Zanzibar War between the United Kingdom and Zanzibar, lasts from 9 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- 2003: Mars makes its closest approach to Earth in nearly 60,000 years, passing 34,646,418 miles distant.
- 2003: The first six-party talks, involving South and North Korea, the U.S., China, Japan and Russia, convene to find a peaceful resolution to the security concerns as a result of the North Korean nuclear weapons program.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.