Today is Wednesday, October 10, the 284th day of the year, World Day Against the Death Penalty and World Mental Health Day.
- Oxford school board members settle lawsuit with former superintendent
- Blog: New tennis courts to be dedicated in honor of late Oxford resident
- CT Restaurant Week is this week
Wednesday: A chance of drizzle before 9 a.m., then a slight chance of showers after 9 a.m. Cloudy, with a high near 62. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
Wednesday Night: A slight chance of showers before 9 p.m. Partly cloudy, with a low around 40. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
Today in History
- 1845: In Annapolis, MD, the Naval School (later renamed the U.S. Naval Academy) opens with 50 midshipmen students and seven professors.
- 1911: The Wuchang Uprising leads to the demise of Qing Dynasty, the last imperial court in China, and the founding of the Republic of China.
- 1957: President Dwight D. Eisenhower apologizes to the finance minister of Ghana, Komia Agbeli Gbdemah, after he is refused service in a Dover, DE restaurant.
- 1967: The Outer Space Treaty, signed on January 27 by more than 60 nations, comes into force.
- 1973: Vice President Spiro Agnew resigns after being charged with federal income tax evasion.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.