Today is Friday, October 19, the 293rd day of the year.
- Oxford Democrats say Republicans are stealing their campaign signs
- Tennis courts will be dedicated in honor of late Oxford resident on Saturday
- James Patterson wants your kids to read
Friday: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. High near 67. Chance of precipitation is 90 percent.
Friday Night: Showers likely, mainly before 8 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 52. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.
Today in History
- 1789: Chief Justice John Jay is sworn in as the first Chief Justice of the United States.
- 1973: President Richard Nixon rejects an Appeals Court decision that he turn over the Watergate tapes.
- 1987: The Dow Jones Industrial Average falls by 22 percent, 508 points, in what becomes known as Black Monday.
- 2005: Saddam Hussein goes on trial in Baghdad for crimes against humanity.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.