Today is Monday, October 22, the 296th day of the year and International Stuttering Awareness Day.
- Scenes for film starring Cuba Gooding Jr. will be shot in Oxford
- Obituary: Glen Thomas Overton, 46, of Oxford
- October is National Adopt a Shelter Dog Month
Monday: Sunny, with a high near 64. Light northwest wind increasing to 6 to 11 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 24 mph.
Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 43.
Events & Reminders
- The Oxford Board of Finance will meet at 7 p.m. at Town Hall (Agenda)
- The Oxford High School Athletic Fields Construction Committee will meet at 7 p.m. at Town Hall to discuss a public address system at the high school field. (Agenda)
- The Oxford Planning & Zoning Commission will meet at 7 p.m. at Town Hall to discuss affordable housing regulations and set a public hearing on them. (Agenda)
- The Oxford High School football team will play against New Milford on the road at 6 p.m.
Today in History
- 1844: The Great Anticipation: Millerites, followers of William Miller, anticipate the end of the world in conjunction with the Second Advent of Christ. The following day became known as the Great Disappointment.
- 1879: Using a filament of carbonized thread, Thomas Edison tests the first practical electric incandescent light bulb, which lasts 13 and a half hours before burning out.
- 1924: Toastmasters International is founded.
- 1976: Red Dye No. 4 is banned by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration after it is discovered that it causes tumors in the bladders of dogs. The dye is still used in Canada.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.