Today is Tuesday, October 9, the 283rd day of the year World Post Day.
- The Inland Wetlands/Conservation Commission will review the proposal for a mobile home park in Oxford at a meeting tonight.
- Griffin Hospital's 5K raises $55K for cancer center
- "Patch In" column: Is this video game too violent?
Tuesday: A chance of rain, mainly before noon. Cloudy, with a high near 57. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent.
Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 45. Northeast wind 3 to 6 mph.
Events & Reminders
- Art class will be held at the Oxford Senior Center today
- Add an event or announcement on Patch
Today in History
- 1604: Supernova 1604 occurs, the most recent supernova to be observed in the Milky Way.
- 1635: Founder of Rhode Island Roger Williams is banished from the Massachusetts Bay Colony as a religious dissident after he speaks out against punishments for religious offenses and giving away Native American land.
- 1701: The Collegiate School of Connecticut (later renamed Yale University) is chartered in Old Saybrook.
- 1888: The Washington Monument officially opens to the general public.
- 1992: A 13 kilogram (est.) fragment of the Peekskill meteorite lands in the driveway of the Knapp residence in Peekskill, NY, destroying the family's 1980 Chevrolet Malibu.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.