Whether you're in search of something fun to do with the kids or you have a babysitter and are planning a night out, look no further because Patch editors have picked a variety of events taking place today and tomorrow to help you make the most of your weekend. Click on the headlines for more information.
Saturday, Sept. 14: A 5K in which many participants will wear superhero costumes will be held in honor of an Oxford native who died in a car accident in 2010.
Check-in and day-of registration begins at 7:30 a.m. The race will begin promptly at 8:30 a.m. from the Colonial Tavern. There will be free on-site parking available. Participants have the choice of completing a 5K run or a 1.5 mile walk that each start and end at the Colonial Tavern. Some rolling hills are included in the course. Superhero costumes are encouraged but not required. People of all ages are invited to participate; strollers are welcome, but please no pets.
Friday and Saturday, Sept. 14 and 15: The 9th-annual Harvest Moon Festival will be a family oriented, Naugatuck centered activity on the Naugatuck Green. There will be an array of vendors and crafters. There will be activities for the kids, and demonstration by Boy Scout Troop 102. It will be held on Friday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. and on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 16: The annual Colonial Fair and Muster Day in Woodbury shows what it was like to live, play, eat and work during colonial times. To see photos and an article on the 2011 Colonial Fair & Muster Day, click here: .
Family festival with live music by the blue grass band Wild Goose Nation, picnicking in the meadow, river and nature walks, local food vendors, kids’ activities, bird watching, raffle prizes and more.
There will be live performances and workshops of dance and music, art presentations, art workshops, activities for children, and lots of food. Click here for a schedule of events.
Sunday, Sept. 16:
- Trumbull Arts Festival: Fine Art, High-quality fine craft, Limited or handmade prints, Offset lithograph prints, Country Crafts, Handcraft item under $25, Painted/appliqued clothing, Photography; Trumbull Town Hall Green, 5866 Main Street,about 1 mile north of exit 48 off the Merritt Parkway. Time: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Blessed Lambs Fall Festival: 175 White Plains Road; Admission is free.
The Discovery to Cure Walk returns for the fifth year to Westport's Sherwoods Island State Park on Sept. 16, bringing together hundreds of people of all ages, including cancer survivors, dedicated to raising funds and awareness for ovarian cancer research.
Friday, Sept. 14 & Saturday, Sept. 15:
- The Irish Heritage Society of Milford's Annual Milford Irish Festival will "Kick Off" on Friday, Sept. 14th with music by The AleHounds and Fenian Sons, food and drinks.
- On Saturday, the Festival gets into Full Swing with Irish Music by Stone Row, Broken Banjo Strings and the Highland Rovers.
- Children's activities from 11-6 will include face painting, arts and crafts, games and prizes, a Bounce House, and Rock climbing wall.
- For more information, click here: .