Authorities identified the man who died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning Monday as 60-year-old Curtiss Raymond of Stratford.
Authorities say he was house sitting for his brother, Garrett Raymond, when he was found dead on the couch at 1 Silano Drive. Three dogs, pets of Garrett Raymond, were also found dead.
An autopsy on Raymond was expected to be conducted Tuesday at the Office of the Chief State Medical Examiner in Farmington, but the exact manner of death could not be verrified as of Tuesday night.
Authorities were called to the house just before 1 p.m. on Monday where they saw the dogs dead and realized it was probably a carbon monoxide issue. Oxford Ambulance Association Director Jerry Schwab entered the home and began feeling lightheaded and short of breath. He ran outside the home when he realized there was a carbon monoxide issue.
Schwab was treated and released from a local hospital for carbon monoxide exposure, and was reportedly recovering well on Tuesday.
Oxford firefighters found a carbon monoxide level of about 1,200 parts per million, which could be deadly, Fire Chief Scott Pelletier said.
Authorities are saying there was no foul play and labeled it an untimely death. Upon arrival, emergency responders said a dryer vent was stuck into the furnace vent at the house, which could cause a carbon monoxide issue. Authorities, who wouldn't discuss the investigation, were apparently looking into how that happened and whether it was the reason for the carbon monoxide issue. Oxford Resident Trooper Sgt. Dan Semosky did not return calls for comment on this case Monday or Tuesday.
The Connecticut Post reported that Garrett Raymond's ex-wife found Curtiss Raymond on the couch after he failed to show up for work on Monday.