Editor's Note: The following news release is from Connecticut Light & Power, which states it is working around the clock to get power restored but cannot give an exact time as to when that will happen.
With more than 650,000 customers to be restored following Hurricane Irene, CL&P is scheduling crews to work around the clock until restoration efforts are complete.
During a multi-day restoration such as this, approximately 75 percent of crews will begin their shifts around 7 a.m. so we can maximize daylight hours and be most productive. The remaining 25 percent of crews will begin their shifts around 3 p.m. and will work through the night. Given the restoration efforts we face going forward, all employees are also required to take at least an eight hour rest period between shifts to ensure their safety.
"Having the vast majority of crews work during daylight hours allows us to maximize the efficiency of our workforce as we face a week or more of restoration efforts," said Jeff Butler, president and chief operating officer at CL&P. "The safety of our employees, contractors and our customers is of our utmost concern, and we want to make sure everyone working on this restoration has appropriate time to rest between shifts."
For your safety, CL&P also reminds customers to stay at least 10 feet away from all wires. Assume any downed, hanging or burning power lines are live and dangerous. If a power line falls on your vehicle while you're inside, stay there. Don't touch anything outside the vehicle and wait for emergency crews. Call 9-1-1 immediately with any emergency condition.
To report outages or check the status of an outage, visit cl-p.com or call 800-286-2000. Our automated phone and online systems can rapidly process your report and help us speed restoration efforts. For helpful tips and news updates, go to our website at cl-p.com, follow us on Twitter @CTLightandPower and like us atFacebook.com/CTLightandPower. You can also get updates on outages in your town by texting "outage" then a space, and your zip code to 24612 (texting fees may apply).
The Connecticut Light and Power Company (CL&P) has been part of everyday life in Connecticut for more than 100 years, providing safe and reliable electric service to homes, neighborhoods and businesses. With 1.2 million customers in 149 cities and towns, CL&P is improving the environments you live in, by offering programs in energy conservation, economic development and environmental stewardship. CL&P is a Northeast Utilities company (NYSE: NU). For more information, please visit www.cl-p.com and follow us on Twitter @CTLightandPower.