UPDATE: Day Six of Search for Missing Boater [VIDEO]

Man's scull boat capsized Monday; he's been missing since.

State police and the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection will spend Saturday morning searching along the Housatonic River for a missing 75-year-old man from Woodbridge.

Capt. Raul Camejo of the Connecticut State Environmental Conservation Police said state police have great divers using search dogs and sonar boats searching for Richard Fiske - someone whom Camejo said appears to have been a good family man - and he's confident Fiske's body will be found in the Housatonic River, where his boat capsized on Monday. Camejo said he's confident the body will be found."

"I'm never going to say never," he said at 2:15 p.m. Wednesday.. "It's up to the state police dive team when they say they have physically done everything they can and can't pursue it any further," "That hasn't happened yet. ...They are the best resource we have; they are the best around. If they do have to call it off, I'll put a boat out here at least every morning and patrol the shoreline until we find him. If that's today, tomorrow, next week, next month, whatever. We will continue the search. I'm never going to say never."

He said he's confident not only because of the people who are conducting the search, but also because of the elements. He said it is a contained body of water and that although there is a dam downstream, he's never heard of a body going over the dam. "And there have been drownings here before," he said. 

Note: End of Wednesday Night's Update; Updates Will Continue.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, two boats combed the Housatonic River from the Stevenson Dam on the Oxford-Monroe line into Shelton near Indian Well State Park on Tuesday; that area was shut down to the public. As of 1:45 p.m., police had not found Fiske's body and didn't have much more information than they did on Monday afternoon, when news crews from all over the state flocked to the Oxford-Seymour line to get the latest news. More than 50 firefighters from Derby, Newtown, Oxford, Seymour and Shelton responded on Monday but were called off scene just before 9 p.m. Monday when state police postponed the search for the evening, indicating the effort had turned from a rescue operation to a recovery effort.

The search on Monday stretched far and wide along at least four towns in the Naugatuck Valley and included rescuers on boats with sonar scanners inside the water, all-terrain riders and walkers on the river banks and an air search by at least two helicopters, including one from the U.S. Coast Guard and one from the state police. Though there were far fewer people searching on Tuesday, the area the search encompassed was similar. Several volunteers are helping police and the DEEP, Ramos said. The Housatonic Dam upstream from the boating club was shut down while investigators conducted the search; boats containing DEEP workers and state police patrolled the river on Tuesday but didn't bring Fiske's body to shore. 

Ramos said the water temperature on the river as of 9 p.m. Monday was 45 degrees. At that temperature, he said, the Coast Guard estimates Fiske could have survived for about nine hours. Officials now believe Fiske is dead.

DEEP officials said Fiske was first reported missing at 2 p.m. Monday, three-and-a-half hours after he signed out a scull boat from the New Haven Rowing Club on Route 34 in Oxford; a DEEP official said someone saw the capsized boat about 1 p.m. but did not call it in at that point.

Fiske went into the water alone, and state police said Monday they believe he was wearing a floatation device around his waist. That type of device, police said, needs to be pulled manually in order for it to inflate and fully protect the person who is wearing it. Police do not know if that device failed, whether Fiske had a medical issue that caused him to fall out of the boat - though they said all indications are that he was healthy - or if it was something else that caused the boat to capsize. DEEP officials and state police are investigating this as an accident and plan to continue the search until they find Fiske's body.

Fiske, who the Cheshire Herald reports is a former Cheshire resident, is the owner of Ravenswood Homes of Cheshire. The company, which was formed by Richard "Dick" Fiske in 1963, has built more than 2,500 new homes throughout central Connecticut, including many upscale housing developments in Cheshire, Hamden, North Haven, Wallingford, Rocky Hill, Portland and Bethany, according to the company's website.

Fiske, an avid boater, is a member at the well-known boating club at 407 Roosevelt Drive in Oxford, according to Kyle Overturf, director of the State Environmental Conservation Police for the DEEP. Fiske's boat was found overturned a couple hundred yards from the boat launch there where Fiske's friends and family gathered on Tuesday and consoled one another while waiting to hear more from state investigators. His car was also found on Monday near the rowing club. 

Friends and family either could not be contacted or declined to comment to Oxford Patch on Tuesday. Woodbridge land records indicate that a woman named Betsy Fiske, who is believed to be the missing man's wife, owned a home at 26 Inwood Road in Woodbridge. 

A woman who picked up the phone at that address on Tuesday night declined to comment.  

Craig Zac November 29, 2011 at 12:17 PM
I saw this going on on my drive home from work at about 5:45 last night. Poor guy. I wonder how he capsized the boat? its not like the water is ruff or choppy there... And where could he have went? not upstream, has to be down stream or along the banks...or in Brazil or Mexico right now. This is weird!
MSS November 29, 2011 at 09:41 PM
I saw this too around 6:50pm and knew it couldn't be good. I had also seen a lone rower at 8:00am on my way to work. I thought it was odd as usually you see single sculls buddy up or in multiples, but the weather has been nice. With the temperature of the water, if he just fell in, he should have been OK, unless he had a health issue or something else caused him to stay under.
Tom Adamski November 30, 2011 at 01:16 PM
I have been a kayaking guide and instructor for 20 years, and participated in many cold water training sessions. The water temperature was reported as 45 degrees. That temperature can result in cold shock. Without a life jacket, a victim may inhale while under water (involuntary gasping reflex) and drown without coming back to the surface, there is no second chance. This can only be prevented by wearing a life jacket at all times on the water in the off-season. Exposure of the head and chest to cold water causes sudden increases in heart rate and blood pressure that may result in cardiac arrest.
MyGoodPeople November 30, 2011 at 01:25 PM
It is an unfortunate situation. I pray for him and his family/friends. Tom that you for your input.
Craig Zac November 30, 2011 at 01:31 PM
Wow.. i heard of the shock of jumping or falling into cold water but never thought of the gasping while under water thing. Thanks for the info!
Craig Zac November 30, 2011 at 01:34 PM
its hard to believe they cant find him. the lake section they are looking in is long but not too wide, i wonder if he wandered off someplce without realizing it cause of shock or stroke. Like maybe he swam out and is wandering about in the woods or something. if he didnt make it, he could have only went down stream, unless he got cought up on a rock or submerged tree or something. has anyone checked to see if he might be faking his own death for some reason? Just a thought as it has happened before.. people have financial or personal problems they run from.
Paul Singley November 30, 2011 at 04:08 PM
Craig: I hear what you are saying about how it has happened before. However, I doubt that is the case here. But who knows. In the meantime, my thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
Craig Zac November 30, 2011 at 05:23 PM
Yeah Paul, I hear ya.. it must be a horrendous situation for them. I couldnt begin to imagine what they feel like. The not knowing has got to be the worst.
Jodie December 02, 2011 at 06:00 AM
I live right off 34 and saw the first helicopters searching over heard around 3pm, I didnt pay much attention until I noticed how close to the water they were. Extremely sad and I hope they find this man to bring some peace to his family =/


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something