Dozens of people are expected to attend a public hearing on a proposed blight ordinance tonight at .
Town officials want to give residents an opportunity to speak about the proposed ordinance and from there, the issue will be brought to a vote of the townspeople at a Town Meeting scheduled for 7 p.m. Feb. 27, also at Town Hall.
The proposed ordinance says warnings may be given but once fines are imposed, property owners would be on the hook for $100 a day for each blight violation, including, but not limited to:
- Rodent harborage and/or infestation;
- Garbage, trash or unused building materials improperly stored in dumpsters or accumulated on the premises; unauthorized outside storage or accumulation of junk, campers, trash, rubbish, boxes, paper, plastic or refuse of any kind;
- The parking of more than one unregistered car, boats, motorcycles or inoperable machinery on the public right of way;
- Missing, broken or boarded up windows or doors; collapsing or deteriorating exterior walls, roofs, stairs, porches, handrails, railings, basement hatchways, chimneys, flues or floors;
- Exterior walls containing holes or loose missing or rotting materials;
- Unrepaired fire or water damage;
- Overgrown brush, shrubs and weeds.
We want to know what you think about the proposed ordinance. Please answer our poll below: